Regional Diagnostic Andrology Service
This service is offered to patients registered with a GP with areas currently holding a suitable and valid contract with the Leicester Fertility Centre and University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust and provides a semen diagnostic analysis and information service for male patients.
Please ask your patient to call 0116 258 5922 to make an appointment. NHS appointments are by appointment only Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
We regret we are unable to accept samples without a request form or valid appointment
ANY ABUSE OF OUR STAFF WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
GPs and referring consultants can arrange to book a semen analysis appointment via the E-Referral Service (ERS). Instructions for sample production should be given to the patient at their GP appointment. Samples cannot be accepted at the clinic without an appointment. Patients with a semen analysis appointment will need to bring their sample, request form and semen analysis form with them. Please note this service is only for patients actively trying to conceive.
Relevant paperwork can be found at the bottom of this page.
Anybody wishing to have a private semen analysis can do so by contacting the Leicester Fertility Centre on 0116 258 5922 and booking an appointment, there is a charge for this service.
The Diagnostic Andrology & Post Vasectomy Semen Analysis Service based at the Leicester Fertility Centre is certified by ISO:9001:2015 and the department is working towards ISO 15189:2012 standards.
Until the tests have been ratified by the UKAS team, it must be made clear that any new/amended tests/processes are not accredited by UKAS.
To ensure that tests are introduced in a safe way, with sound, scientific reasoning, the department adheres to guidance from the World Health Organisation (WHO) laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen 2010. Please note that prescribed procedures of acceptance testing, validation & verification of any new or amended process occur at present.
NHS Andrology Semen Analysis Service
The NHS Regional Diagnostic Andrology (semen analysis) service for infertility semen samples is based at the Leicester Fertility Centre, Level 0 Kensington Building, Leicester Royal Infirmary, LE1 5WW.
Please note that we review and update our information regularly to ensure the best possible service for your patients. Please check the website regularly for updates.
Samples are accepted by appointment only.
- Samples must be DELIVERED BY HAND to the reception at the Leicester Fertility Centre.
- There is no clinic specific parking for this service.
- A wide mouthed container with a silver lid must be provided to the patient along with a referral form.
- Samples must be produced at home and brought to the clinic ideally within an hour of production
Results are issued to your clinic, and can be viewed on the iLAB / ICE system.
Whilst we endeavour to ensure a smooth and efficient service for both patients and health care professionals, there may be occasions when a sample cannot be tested. We will try and inform the patient and healthcare professional as soon as possible if this is the case.
Please contact the clinic to arrange an appointment if you require a Retrograde Semen and Urine Analysis.
Private Semen Analysis
A private semen analysis can be booked directly with the clinic by the patient on 0116 258 5922.
- Contact the clinic on the above number and book a date and time slot for your sample.
- We will send out a pot, form and instructions on how to produce a sample for analysis.
- Samples are produced at home in accordance with these instructions, please read carefully to obtain meaningful results. In exceptional circumstances, sample can be produced on the unit, however this must be pre-arranged.
- Results are given within 48 hours of sample productions, following suitable witnessing and authorisation processes.
- A fee is payable on the day for the test, please contact us directly on 0116 258 5922 or visit the website for an up to date price list.
- Cancellation fees maybe incurred for missed appointments and/or late cancellations.