Andrology (Diagnostic Semen analysis)
To book an appointment or further information please call 0116 258 5922. We regret we are unable to accept samples without an appointment. NHS appointments are available Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. If you have been referred by your consultant or G.P you must bring your referral form with the sample.
ANY ABUSE OF OUR STAFF WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
The Leicester Fertility Centre Andrology – Diagnostic Semen Analysis Laboratory offers the following tests:
Diagnostic Semen Analysis: A Diagnostic Semen Analysis may be the first investigation requested from a Healthcare Practitioner for individuals and couples having difficulty conceiving. The Andrology Laboratory assesses semen and sperm parameters to provide diagnostic information regarding a patient’s sperm dysfunction and therefore potential causes of infertility.
Post Vasectomy Semen Analysis (PVSA): A Post Vasectomy Semen Analysis (PVSA) is performed to confirm the absence of spermatozoa from semen (indicative of a successful vasectomy operation) and is the postoperative management of the patient (given as the limit of quantification for the assessment method employed). A vasectomy (male sterilisation) is a surgical procedure to cut or seal the vas deferens from the testicles that transport sperm to permanently prevent pregnancy. There are strict pre-examination criteria for the examination for a PVSA. The minimum time requirement between the operation and analysis is 18 weeks, and the minimum number of emissions within this period is 20 ejaculates.
Retrograde Ejaculation Semen and Urine Analysis: Retrograde ejaculation is a rarer type of ejaculation problem. It happens when semen travels backwards into the bladder instead of through the urethra. The main symptoms of retrograde ejaculation include: (a) producing no semen, or only a small amount, during ejaculation, and (b) producing cloudy urine (because of the semen in it) when you first go to the toilet after having sex. The laboratory will analyse the urine of patients following ejaculation (the sensation of ejaculation) for the presence of sperm and motility.
The Andrology Diagnostic Semen Analysis Laboratory is located at the Leicester Fertility Centre, Level 0 Kensington Building, Leicester Royal Infirmary, LE1 5WW.
If you are interested in Semen Cryopreservation, please click here
The Leicester Fertility Centre provides services for both NHS and Private patients. Please see below for more details.
This service is for Diagnostic Semen Analysis, Post Vasectomy Semen Analysis and Retrograde Ejaculation Semen and Urine Analysis patients.
You should have been issued with a sample pot, request form, a set of instructions and a semen analysis form. The instructions and semen analysis form can be downloaded from this page.
- Samples are only accepted via APPOINTMENT. Do not attend the clinic unless you have an appointment booked.
- Samples must be PRODUCED AT HOME and brought to the clinic within an hour of production. In exceptional circumstances, sample can be produced on the unit, however this must be pre-arranged.
- Samples must be DELIVERED BY HAND to the reception at the Leicester Fertility Centre.
- Samples must be accompanied by a semen analysis form and a request form from your GP or other healthcare professional.
- Samples must be labelled with your FULL NAME and DATE OF BIRTH. If you fail to provide your details, your sample may not be tested.
- Samples must be kept at body temperature and are best kept IN A POCKET during transit.
- Please leave a period of between 2-7 DAYS SEXUAL ABSTINENCE before producing the sample.
- There is no clinic-specific parking for this service
Results are issued to your GP or other healthcare professional; please call the person or department who requested the test directly.
We regret that results cannot be given out over the telephone for confidentiality reasons.
Please note that we review and update our information regularly to ensure the best possible service for you. Please check the website regularly for updates.
Whilst we endeavour to ensure a smooth and efficient service for both patients and healthcare professionals, there may be occasions when a sample cannot be tested. We will try and inform the patient and healthcare professional as soon as possible if this is the case.
Please contact the clinic to arrange an appointment if you require a Retrograde Semen and Urine Analysis.
Private Semen Analysis
A private semen analysis can be booked directly with the clinic by the patient on 0116 258 5922.
- Contact the clinic on the above number and book a date and time slot for your sample.
- We will send out a pot, form and instructions on how to produce a sample for analysis.
- Samples are produced at home in accordance with these instructions, please read carefully to obtain meaningful results. In exceptional circumstances, sample can be produced on the unit, however this must be pre-arranged.
- Results are given within 48 hours of sample productions, following suitable witnessing and authorisation processes.
- A fee is payable on the day for the test, please contact us directly on 0116 258 5922 or visit the website for an up-to-date price list.
- Cancellation fees maybe incurred for missed appointments and/or late cancellations.
For NHS, Private and Retrograde Ejaculation patients, please read and find below useful information and instructions.
For GP and Healthcare Professionals please find below useful information, especially the Andrology User Guide and Handbook.